Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Three Cups of Tea


There are many things I want to blog about. Now that I am really living the volunteer life I find I have a lot of time on my hands to think, read and write. Creating many blog ideas, I will start with a lesson I am learning that has proven to be most important to me and past volunteers. It is a concept I have read about and thought about in great detail. It is one of those things you read about first and then experience- at least that was the case for me. It starts with a quote from the book I am currently reading, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. If you have not read it or heard of it, I would highly recommend it as a must read. 

Greg Mortenson is an ordinary man seeking to make a difference in the education of children in the most remote parts of the world. In his work he encounters many struggles and challenges. In one chapter he is reflecting on what he has learned from a man in his village named Haji Ali- 

“ ‘That day Haji Ali taught be the most important lesson I’ve ever learned in my life.’ Mostenson says. ‘ We Americans think you have to accomplish everything quickly. We’re the country of thirty-minute power lunches and two-minute football drills. Our leaders thought their “shock and awe” campaign could end the war in Iraq before it even started. Haji Ali taught me to share three cups of tea, to slow done and make building relationships as important as building projects. He taught me that I had more to learn from the people I work with then I could ever hope to teach them.’ ”

So what does this have to do with me and Paraguay. I have learned quickly in these last 2 weeks from these people that I need to slow down, drink terere and work on building relationships with these people. I will never be able to help these people if I don’t know what they need. Yes, I am a health volunteer and have been trained in different areas but people or different everywhere you go. Unless I slow down and spend time getting to know them and their needs I will never really know how I can help them, or learn how they can help me. 

So that is what I have been doing. The days are slow and sometimes slower then I can handle. But I now understand thats how it needs to be. I need slow down and sit down. Everyday I am talking with more people, drinking more terere and learning more. At first it sounds like I’m doing nothing and I want to go crazy- grab my books and start teaching or grab my shovel and start digging a garden. But I know that what is most important right now is to sit down with these beautiful Paraguayans, and see what I can learn from them and how I can help them. It is way more important to build a relationship right now then a garden.  Because I know once that relationship is built, that garden will be so much more fruitful and fulfilling. 

I don’t think it ever hurt anyone to slow down. It is hard to do that in the United States, we all know that. But I promise you once you spend even the littlest amount of time over seas serving in a developing country you will quickly adjust and realize the importance and the need to just slow down

Disclaimer: Terere is a tea that Paraguayans drink ice cold. They drink it through out the whole day. It is served in a cup called a guampa. It is 100% all natural and 100% delicious. I find myself craving it thought out the day! 





Because pictures are more fun! More to come soon! 









2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post!! So many amazing experiences. I love hearing about each and every one of them

    :-)

    I LOVE YOU!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome choice of book Roni! Keep reading, slowing life down, drinking tea...and making the days count! So proud of you and can't wait to continue reading your blog!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete