Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Birthdays and Mayonnaise

I had the busiest of days yet yesterday. Well as busy as a peace corps volunteer can get. I think I was with at least one Paraguayan from 10am - 9:30pm. Thats a lot of Paraguayan time and a lot of spanish, but I honestly didn’t mind it and was thankful for the day. I thought it would make for a nice blog post, I little insight to my daily routine... mas o menos! 

I some how invited my contacts daughters over for lunch after school. So I picked them up from school and we walked back to my house. They love coming over to my house, they know where everything is, they help me clean and answer questions I have about random things. I always enjoy their company and they are very easy to be with. I decided to cook the only some what Paraguayan meal I knew how to cook. Pork with rice and a sauce made of tomatoes. They said that was fine and they liked that. I am allergic to the pork here so I made a salad for myself of carrots, cucumber and tomatoes. Once the meal was ready they first asked me for bread. Paraguayans LOVE bread, more then myself which is a lot. They eat these huge, white dry rolls. They are not good but they eat them with every meal and I do as well when I eat with them. But I don’t keep them in my house all I had was whole wheat sandwich bread. So I gave that to them....Then I watched as they picked away all the tomatoes and pork. Then they asked for mayonnaise, then they made rice and mayonnaise sandwiches... We sat together at my table while I ate my vegetables and they had 3 rice and mayonnaise sandwiches and they were so happy with the meal! It was an interesting experience, as a health volunteer it looks like I have some work to do! 

The girls stayed the rest of the afternoon, we cuddled in my bed for an afternoon siesta, did some yoga, played cards listened to music and danced. They also helped me clean up lunch and then helped me bake a birthday cake for my friend Romina! I love having those girls over, but I was very tired mentally and physically after! They asked if they could come back everyday, how sweet. I had to say no, just every other day! 

Later that night I went over to my friend Romina’s for her birthday dinner! We had a big steak and potato salad with manioca, just another form of potato! I made a vanilla cake with caramel and cream cheese frosting with coconut sprinkled on top! It was delicious and she loved it. We had such a nice time. I am over their house with her family almost every day and am getting very close to them. Romina is pregnant and has asked me to be the babies aunt! I cannot wait for this baby I will defiantly be spoiling her. Romina is probably one of my best friends here that is Paraguayan, I am very grateful for her and her family! I had such a nice time celebrating her and this life I get to live with her for the next 2 years! 

She posted this on the photo below of us- “Mi mejor amiga.....gracias por compartir estos momentos importantes de mi vida” My best friend, thank you for sharing those important moments in my life. 

Romina and I on her Birthday!

One of her brothers, she has 2 others! They are like my brothers too! 

How precious is this face? I'm in love! 

Oe of the houses in my community on laundry day

2 comments:

  1. Ronnie! I love your blog! Hang in there- it sounds like you are really building some great relationships... And really putting your faith into action! You are awesome! - Ashley- (Katie's favorite sister!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice, mayo and pork EW! You have your work cut out for you! haha

    LOVE YOU!

    -Rach

    ReplyDelete