Tuesday, April 15, 2014

That north wind

As you folk up in the states are getting your first taste of sweet summer time around the corner we are feeling that north wind and the winter months are right around the corner. Although I hate being cold and it getting dark so early I can't help but enjoy hot drinks in the morning, long  sleeve's, socks and not sweating my face off every minute of the day. Plus i know that I'll get my fix of the great American summer this July when I head home for my big sisters wedding... so this breeze is nothing I'll be on the beach soon enough.

So a lot of random things have been happening around here and I'm just going along with it... some days are great and then there's the occasional mental break down but hey thats Peace Corps and I'm rolling with it... or slowly trailing behind it seems some days. Any who thats life!

-------------------

Last weekend I was invited to wake up at 5am and go in a car to the religious capital of Paraguay for an outdoor mass. Now I had been wanting to go to this town and see the sites and get the full experience but I wasn't really thinking 5am.. but to Paraguayans thats nothing and I would have been judged if I said no, plus a car ride? I'll take it! So we were off. Mass started at 7am and we arrived just in time. There were hundreds of people and it was really beautiful. We stood under a shaded tree and listened. After people flood the streets to eat delicious fresh chipas and meat. It was 8 in the morning and I was eating two different kinds of sausage with a side of coca-cola.. and it was oh so tasty! 


In the car on the way to mass 

Street Meat! 

Later that day after lunch my host brothers decided to go on another car ride and we headed to the local lake. We all walked around, drank a little and enjoyed the afternoon. They had some horses or pony's that you could pay and ride. My little Valentina wanted to ride but was to scared so I hopped up there with her and we were off. I quickly remembered that I am actually fearful of horses ever since I was bite by one last year.. but everything worked out fine and we had a great time. 


These past two weeks my health post has been busy. We have had a birthdays, radio shows, clinics and just your everyday work. But the most exciting part is that there are 2 new young doctors that are working there for the next 3 months. These doctors also speak english and have become good friends of mine. I have really enjoyed having some english speakers around. They are studying to be able to do their residency in the states. We share our love for micro popcorn, dominos pizza and mumford and suns. 
At the radio station with the 2 new doctors and the nurse from my health post 


This week is Holy Week and I will be spending a lot of time with families these next 4 days. I remember last year I ate the most food ever during these 4 days.. I am trying not to repeat that but Paraguayans have a way of being very convincing. I want to wish you all a happy easter and for some a spring break! 

Current struggle: I have a mouse in the house and he is not relenting. I have bought traps and poison but he is still alive and active. Last night I got creative and made this trap after talking to my brother and hearing his suggestion. It didn't work and the mouse is still on the loose. At this point I am not even freaked out or creeped out or scared I am just annoyed and don't want to find any more of his poop in my house! I am hoping this week is his last. Today I bought new traps and placed them everywhere! Updates to come soon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment