Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Kids Club

Hello blog world!

I had my first kids club last Saturday and it was a success in the making...as all things in Paraguay it needs some time. At first only 1 girl showed up. I was bummed and so where the 2 little girls who helped me plan it. But then I realized what I have been told all along...

Paraguayans have no concept of time and most events that have a start time will most likely start an hour later. And sure enough an hour into the club 5 young boys showed up and we began!

I didn't know what to expect so I didn't plan anything too serious....but we played some games with the frisbees and jump ropes my mom sent me ( these kids go crazy for toys) and we got to know each other. Then at the end I taught some English.

 It was fun but I was so tired after 2 hours straight with 7-9 year olds! I am planning on continuing this club every Saturday.





They all really want to learn English but I really want to teach them about health and hygiene
since that is a really big need here. So I am planning on doing a small lesson of English paired with different lessons on health.

I am very excited about this. It is easy to get intimidated here with the language barrier but with kids I am super relaxed and always have a good time. So I can be found every Saturday morning at 9am with the ninos in my community!



Also I have recently started a radio show.....Every Monday at 9:30 I will go to the local radio studio in town with a nurse from my health post. Each week we get to pick our topic. We discuss different health topics and play music... more to come on this next week. As excited as this is... it is equally as terrifying and will force me to practice my pronunciation more and more!  Buneno!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment