Thursday, February 6, 2014

1 Year in Paraguay!

This Saturday February, 8 I will celebrate my one year in Paraguay, 1 whole year!! Wow. Still in awe. Its amazing, exciting and completely incredible. This little victory is something I could talk all day about. The feelings of doubt, discomfort and over all fear that were swelling up inside of me a year ago, I can now laugh at... and that feels so good!

You see a year ago I felt like a little child stepping out into the darkest most unknown place ever. I felt alone, scared and confused. I had so many questions and concerns and doubts, lots of doubts. For  a while once I was in Paraguay I still wanted to be home doing american things. I wanted to give up and turn around. The last thing I wanted was to stick it out, give it a try and watch as my life would be forever impacted. Well I don't know what got into me..maybe a little Paraguayan water, some sun and whole lot of patience but I stuck it out, gave it a try and now am forever changed. Also grateful my mother made me get on that plane, because we all know if she had given me the chance I would have stayed... you go Mom!

So here I am a year in. Its been crazy, wild and at times sad, lonely and frustrating. All the negativity is quickly casted out and I am forever reminded each day of the beauty this country is, the people, the land and the culture. I am happy and I am following what was once just a dream I journaled about. I've learned so much about my self...others and the person I want to be around others. I've learned a new language and can confidently tell stories, teach and converse in that language. I've made a family a few actually that I love dearly. I've learned the value of patience and the beauty of simplicity. I've failed at lots of things but now understand the importance of giving everything a shot.

This last year I have seen more growth in my personal life then all other years in my life. I am excited to keep growing and learning in Paraguay. I am thankful for this year, this celebration and that it is mine and that I did it, I really did it!! So thank you for all your support, love, letters and packages. It has carried me to this little anniversary and I hope you are as thrilled as I am. It's been special and I am cheersing to another year...hey maybe 3, because thats how great this 1 year feels!

Now for a little now and then... 
Then.. when I was crying my eyes out saying good bye to my momma!
Now... Alive and well and really happy! 


1 comment:

  1. You were right about this being a great post! I want to send you a care package soon maybe after the wedding in TN. Don't worry it will be a box of Mac & Cheese and nail polish!

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete