Thursday, October 24, 2013

Happenings

Lots of little victories happening around here, thank for the silver linings and little victories. When you in a rainy season like I seem to be right now-figuratively and literally... i'm taking it all and enjoying the little things.

To update you on my friend Mary who was shot. She is doing better. It is a slow recovery for her but it is looking on the up side for her. She is still in the hospital and not able to move much of her body. The bullet is still in her neck and it doesn't look like they will be able to remove it because it is too close to the spin. I went to visit her in the hospital, my 2nd hospital visit in Paraguay and it was hard. It was defiantly no Hopkins Shock Trauma trip... it was eye opening and humbling, as many of my experiences have been in Paraguay. But in all I was told she is in good hands and looking at a slow but successful recovery. Her sweet boyfriend flew in from Ecuador to be with her, and since has become a local celebrity/ hero in Paraguay, so theres her victory!

My attempt at rowing the boat.. fail! 
My friend and mentor came to stay with me last week for a few days and it was such a sweet time. I had been needing a friend, especially someone to really just understand me. I love my Paraguayans but sometimes I feel misunderstood and a lot of self doubt can come up from that... so having Michelle come was just what I needed. We cooked some really delicious meals, like out of this world or country, haha. She helped me with my garden and gave me just the confidence I needed to start planting and sowing. Michelle is just such a light, the kind that makes your soul feel good. I would have been fine just sitting with her all day but we got spontaneous and went to the Beach!
Michelle and I at the Beach 

The beach- Is on a lake and really unlike an actually beach that you would find in America but we enjoyed it! There was sand, shade, docks, row boats and water. We paid a little Paraguayan man to take us out on his row boat and it was so precious, he even let us try rowing which was nearly impossible. We drank ice cold tea and just took in the sun and the beauty. It was a fun getaway and so refreshing! After we went to a few art stores and I started my Christmas shopping! So crazy to think about but its coming up!!!!



Over the weekend- I had my english class. We are going strong! They are learning their colors, numbers, days, months and other fun phrases. Kids here never get the chance to be creative or color or think with their imagination. This is something I am learning from my class, I'm not sure why this is but they are lacking. I think if I had a coloring class they would sit for 5 hours and just color and color and color. So I am working on organizing an art club for just that purpose! The little victory comes after we play "go fish" and I watch them practice and struggle when they are trying to think of the number "four" and when they get it and scream "FOUR" I get the biggest smile on my face! My reply " No tengo, go fish"

The 5 of us enjoying the afternoon! 
I have really great friends here, I've been wanting to write a little about them. Ones 23 and her name is Carolina, the other is her daughter she is 1 and a half years old and her name is Paulina or I call her Paulie. The other two are Carolinas nieces. Monse is 12 and Valentina is 3. Carolina takes care of these 3 kids, yes she is 23 and is a fully time mom, aunt and sister. I would say her and Monse are more like sisters. Any way they all live together and are always together and when I'm not there Carolina is texting me wondering where I'm at! I love spending time with them, Paulie and Valentina literally melt my heart I seriously love this kids like they were mine. They each have such personality and character. I am usually at their house but sometimes they come to mine. Its always an adventure being around a 1.5 year old and a 3 year old...never a dull moment. They make my days lighter and fuller!  Here are just some of pictures that fill my library or the 4 of them!

This is Paulie and she always tried to touch my nose ring! Seriously how precious! 




One day I had them all over and we made a chocolate cake, then ate the whole thing! Probably the most American thing I have done with Paraguayans to date! 

This is the lovely Valentina, this girl steals my heart...
If you could spend 5 minutes with her you would know why! 




No comments:

Post a Comment