Friday, June 14, 2013

My weekend "home"

Its raining, really raining right now. I have a few choices of activities to do when it rains here. I had a day played with Paraguayans but when it rains everything is cancelled and  everyone goes into their houses like they are going to melt if they get wet. It is nice though, it is an excuse to do nothing, relax, watch movies and not feel bad about it. So my activities I could be doing right not include; watching my new movie Pitch Perfect I got in my care package yesterday, study spanish, clean my house for the second time today, bake, write or sleep. I am lucky that when it rains I don’t loose power so I have some options. Right now I will write while laying in my bed enjoying the calm noise of rain falling. I am thankful for this rainy day, after I will defiantly watch my movie! 

This past weekend I went back to my first host family’s house for a visit in the community of Guazu Cora. I had not been back in a month and wasn’t sure how it was going to be, but it was great! While I was en route to the town I started to get that feeling I always got in college when I was driving back to Annapolis and was going over the Severn River bridge... that feeling of being home. It was a weird feeling because that town is not really my home, but then I realized that will be my home for these 2 years, and it gives me so much joy! When I walked into my house my host mom was so excited to see me. It was so right, my whole family was so happy that I was there, I felt home. Then I went to my room and only got better, I had really missed my bed from that house. And you know that feeling when you miss your bed and you finally get to sleep in it... oh I how I missed that bed! 

We had a nice weekend, but that family never slows done. We had 3 birthdays that weekend, lots of cook outs, lots of meat, lots of dancing, lots of activities! Some of the other volunteers were visiting as well so we hung out and it was so nice to see those families too. Everyone was so happy to have us back, Guazu Cora is a special place. I am enjoying my community I am living in now, but the community and the people of Guazu Cora will always been my home. I look forward to going back there over these next 2 years. 

It seems the days are going by faster and faster as I learn and adjust to the culture here. Some days it is easier and some days it is harder. But I can honestly say at the end of the day I am happy to be here, I am happy to be living in this country and in this culture and I am excited to share it with you. Please if you have any questions I am an open book. I would like this blog to not only be a creative outlet for myself but also a resource for my readers. Peace Corps has 3 goals of service for their volunteers. The 3rd goal aims to help Americans understand the people and cultures of other countries. It is one of the three goals that support the mission of the Peace Corps to promote world peace and friendship. With is 3rd goal we are promoted to use our experiences in country to educate and inform those back in america. 


That is my hope with this blog. To have a space to share with you what I am doing here, teach you a little about the world down here in Paraguay and be a resource to you. Enjoy! 
The sun setting on Sunday night in the front yard of my host families  house,  that view will never get old! 


My little host niece Angie, she is growing up so fast! She calls me "Tia" Aunt in spanish! 

There was a big church celebration in my community over the weekend. There is a  this virgin doll that is passed around by all the churches and this past weekend it was welcomed into my community  It was a huge deal and there was a parade and everyone came to watch and welcome her into the church! It was beautiful and this is  picture of the men caring her in.
I GOT A PACKAGE! Thanks mom and nanny and Aunt Lynn! Tonight I made potato soup with the Old Bay you sent me and I pretended it was Maryland cream of crab soup... and it almost tasted the same :) 







      

No comments:

Post a Comment