Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Strong Heart


“There is a quiet courage that comes from an inward spring of confidence in the meaning and significance of life. Such courage is an underground river, flowing far beneath the shifting events of ones experiences, keeping alive a thousand little springs of action. It has neither trumpet to announce it nor crowds to applaud; it is best seen in the lives of men and women who do their work from day to day without hurry and without fever, It is the patient waiting of humble ones whose integrity keeps their spirits sweet and their hearts strong. Wherever one encounters it a lift is given to life and vast reassurance invades one’s being. To walk with such a person in the daily round is to keep company with angels.” 

Howard Thurman 

This is good, really good I love it! If you need to re read it, do it and over and over again. This was hanging in the office of my tech trainer here in PY. Every time I read it I get something new from it and I hope you will too. I want a strong heart and I want to keep company with angels! 

Everything has been great in Paraguay, actually really great. I can’t describe the feelings I’ve been having about this place. On Friday it will be a full month that I have been here. A whole month of living in Paraguay! If I was to write this post a week ago I would of thought I was crazy but I am so excited for the next 26 months! So excited!

It has been a really hard adjustment. I’ve been forced outside comforts, lost my ability to verbally communicate....naturally, experienced the saddest days of missing home, family and all its glory. I’ve woken up days in a row and absolutely not wanted to be here. I knew it would “just take time” but some days I didn’t want to give any time. Thats all really depressing, I am well aware. But there is happy ending and joy was found and now I am falling in love with Paraguay! 

It happened over the weekend and I’m not really sure how. The people, the country, the culture and the Peace Corps community is amazing! I am so so happy I am here and ready for these 2 years. It has been the best feeling to wake up and be excited to be here and start my day! 

So there you go, a bit of my heart and how I really feel about Paraguay! Please come visit me, you have about 26 months to make your plans. Just not July 2014 because I will be in America FOR A WEDDING!! 

A weekend update:
-Ate lots of empanadas
-Went to a few Paraguayan parties and danced the night away, I really love dancing here, a lot. But the Paraguayans don’t actually start dancing till midnight so it makes for a late night under the moon! 
-Ate a pig and a cow for lunch on Sunday, and kind of liked it. Turning more Paraguayan by the day! 
-Saw the best fire works show, ever. Would have been totally illegal in America. Actually most things Paraguayans do would be illegal in America, but its totally fine here! Muy tranqillo! 
-Had a bug burrow its self in my toe and lay eggs. Then had my sister dig it out while the whole family watched. Apparently its common and harmless, but was still very painful!


Hope you Marylanders stay safe in this “predicted” snow storm heading your way! Miss you all and gladly excepting packages!!!!! I am currently eating my last reese’s cup. It was really hard to ration these! Enjoy your Wednesday! 


2 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy Ron! Missing you but know you are doing incredible things! Love you and praying for you over there. I seriously couldn't be happier that you are loving it. Keep the blog posts and pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Roniann -- We are thrilled that you're now in love with Paraguay! Ewww, how long was the bug & babies in between your toes? Thank goodness you are rid of them now! Dance like there's no tomorrow. It's so nice that you're sharing your experiences and your heart -- to all! With Much Love, Russ & Tami

    ReplyDelete