Thursday, May 7, 2015

Last week

Disclaimer: I have been moved out of my house and community for 3 weeks now and I am just getting around to posting this blog. I have been writing it for a month now and although I think I will technically writing this blog for the rest of my life here is a bit of what I was thinking 3 weeks ago.

---------------------------------------

There are so many things I'm thinking about. My 2 years of peace corps service in my community has come to a close. I've done so much to get to this week, this day. I am certain it has all been worth it and now to just find peace in getting to this point. I am almost speechless expect for a few thoughts. As I try to find the best way to navigate my thoughts, it just feels appropriate to right some down here.

 I think about my first bus ride to site with a million bags hanging from my neck and back and taking the wrong bus and getting significantly lost upon arriving to site. I also think about that same night in my house crying my self to sleep in pain with dengue fever. Then I think about conquering that and WOW. I think about early mornings drinking yerba mate or tea on my porch listening to the world wake up around me. I think about all the walks to my host families house at all hours of the day. I think about my community and the kids and their smiles. I think about buying fresh eggs from my neighbor when ever I wanted them.

 I think about all the terere I've shared with my health post and any other person in my community. I think about all the hours spent waiting for my bus, the 52 and the joy that springs up in my soul when I see it coming around the bend. I think about the stars and the moon rising every night behind my house. I think about those cool evenings when the south wind was blowing in and I put a scarf on.

 I think about the change in seasons and the different fruit my yard always provided me. The bitter sweet passion fruit and the heavenly mangos and unlimited amount of grapefruit.  I think about all the delicious meals prepared in my 1 single skillet and hot plate. 

I think about those really hard days and nights when I just didn't understand what was happening or what the next day would look like. I think about those really wonderful days where nothing could have been better and I could almost skip from place to place. I think about Valentina and how perfectly she fits into my arms. I think about my hammock and watching the birds dance and sing around my yard. I think about all the visitors I've had in my house and all the meals and laughs  we shared. 

I think about going to my school and seeing all the kids running around smiling with pure joy and excitement. I think about those same kids and the innocence that encompasses their souls. I think about the poverty around me and the little effect I have on it. I think about the perseverance  that I held on to so tightly these last 2 years.  I think about all the human potential that has been celebrated and the small changes I have seen in myself and the people around me. 

 I think about how I will now only be a visitor in this little place that represents so much for me, more then I could begin to think about or write about at this moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment