Monday, November 18, 2013

Summer Time In Paraguay

The summer here goes something like this-

You wake up in the morning ( usually from sweating) open up all your doors and windows to let the breeze in. Start the day with a cold shower to cool you down. Then go along with your morning routine. For me that involves water my plants, checking my email, making some ice coffee, sweeping, laundry and what ever else the day offers. Then around 10 its real hot and I am off in search of the coldest pitcher of terere and the shadiest yard. You may not believe this but I pick the families I visit based on their shade coverage and the time of day. The sun here is damaging and super strong and I do all I can to not be found under it.

For lunch even on the hottest of days it is a big pot of hot soup. Usually with some kind of meat, some kind of noodle and some kind of veggie...and its hot like the sun and the Paraguayans have no problem slurping it down. I am usually hotter after eating lunch and go for my second cold shower of the day. Then its either lay under my fan and enter a heat induced coma or find a mango tree and sit. After lunch everything closes and it is impossible to really move around and do work. Even the cows and sheep lay down. I usually find some task to occupy my time but by 5 I am antsy and ready to leave the house. So I take my 3rd cold shower and I'm off.

I can usually be found at the house of Mrs. Julia or Na Julia. Where everyone has just woken up from napping and starting to drink more ice cold terere. Once the sun sets I usually play a game or two of volley ball or soccer. Then we sit under the stars, drink more iced drinks and some dinner and cool off. I'll usually go home around 8 re open all my windows and doors and wait till my house cools off before going inside. Then I take my fourth and final shower of the day and try and sleep. Before laying down I usually pour water on my floor, they say that helps cool the house off... I am still not convinced but I do it anyways.

So as you have read, its a pretty slow time of year. No one does much in the heat. School is almost out and I am going to have some art classes in the December before I go home. Then in January I am going to hold a summer camp for the kids. Then I will start planning my work for the new school year. I am also going to my health post almost daily and working there with the nurses and doctors.

The heat takes a lot out of you and I am finding myself more tired each day. Drinking a lot of water and taking advantage of the shade in my yard! I know y'all are freezing that home but I cannot wait to get a little bit of that in only 35 daysss! Yes thats right I get to hug my momma in 35 daysssss! Its only been 284 days since I've seen her or America... yes you read that right 284 days since I've been home! HOLY COW! Can't waitt!!!

All and all this heat is hard and tough and super annoying. But I am smiling and still very much enjoying this adventure. My language is improving, my relationships are building and I am developing a home here that is really greater then anything I've ever experienced soo bring it on summer, I'm ready for ya... this is my ready face!

No comments:

Post a Comment